If you have started to follow the keto diet recently, or if you are planning to avail of this diet, it is essential that you have a thorough detail of this diet.
Most individuals have a misconception that a low-carb diet constitutes to a ketogenic meal diet. But, in reality, a low carb diet and a keto meal diet is not the same. So, before coming to the topic a hand, here are few facts about the ketogenic diet should know before picking this diet-
Ketogenic meal diet facts:
- Ketogenic meal diet is not a low carb diet. The main purpose of this diet is to alter the body metabolism to burn fat, instead of glucose.
Without the availability of glucose, ketones will be released which will help burn fat and create energy in the body.
- The keto diet was mostly used as a treatment for Type 2 diabetes and cancer. Due to the body not breaking down glucose, sugar production stops. Now, sugar is the catalyst which is responsible for the growth of cancer cells, and even Type 2 diabetes. This diet inhibits sugar production and instead burns fat.
- This diet if not appropriately followed can result in loss of muscle mass, apatite, and even bring about lethargy. So, before following this diet, know which food is essential for you and which isn’t. Consider looking into CBD oils as this has been proven to work great with a Keto Diet. Check out this Buyer’s Guide by HerbMighty for the best CBD oil.
Most importantly, consult a dietician and make a plan which won’t impact your health negatively. Moreover, this diet mainly runs on fat, approx. 70-80% of the meal consumed on this diet is fat.
- The ketogenic meal began back in the 1920’s, and to date, more and more people are following it. Moving on, here is all that you need to know about the ketogenic diet meal plans:
Best foods to add to your ketogenic meal plan!
Healthy fats include monounsaturated fats, saturated fats, polyunsaturated fats, and omega 3 fatty acids. Fat from MTC oil, palm fruit, coconut oil, ghee, butter avocado, all has healthy fats but 0 carbs.
Proteins to eat-
Animal protein is preferred as it contains very less amount of carbs. Protein from fish, grass-fed beef, chicken and seafood is recommended.
In fact, meat with high-fat content like grass-fed beef is a prime source of food for those on a ketogenic diet. The reason is high-fat meat contains more omega 3 fatty acid and has 0 carbohydrates per 5 ounces. Additionally, egg yolks, fish like tuna, salmon are all reliable source of proteins to include in your ketogenic meal chart.
All leafy greens, beetroots, celery, cucumber, kale, spinach, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli etc., are a good source of fibre and contain fewer carbs.
Fruits which have high-fat content like avocado, water chestnuts etc. can be a good source of healthy fats.
Condiments to use-
You can use the following seasonings with your chosen ketogenic recipes. All herbs and spices like oregano, chilli flakes, pudina dust etc. can double up as your tastemaker. Hot sauce and apple cider vinegar and unsweetened mustard can also be used for adding a tangy zest to your regular meals.
Healthy ketogenic recipes you can use for cheat meals!
- Avocado recipes like guacamole
- Minced meat in lettuce wraps
- Homemade veggie salads with spicy condiments
- Hard-boiled eggs or beef or meat jerk sticks
- Lemon, soy and pickles and sour cream
Breakfast or evening drinks:
As, part of your keto breakfast, you can make yourself a full-filling meal of unsweetened coffee, bone broth, vegetable broth with chicken, smoothies made of strawberry, avocado or kale and spinach.
Also, chocolate smoothies and milkshakes which come from animal fats can be used for breakfast too. Now, that you have a clear concept about the type of food to consume, let’s discuss what to avoid.
Avoid eating these foods on a ketosis diet!
- Sugar or excess glucose and sugar-based products like candy, soft drinks, and sweets are a big no when it comes to ketogenic meal charts. Additionally, fruits and veggies which have a high content of fructose, maltose, lactose and dextrose shouldn’t be a part of ketogenic meal plans.
- Grains like oats, quinoa, and cereals are not feasible on this diet. Additionally, one must not include any form of carbs like bread, roti, rice, crackers, waffles, pancakes or even tortilla in their keto diet.
- Alcohol, soda, sweetened fruit juice etc. are also restricted form a ketogenic meal chart
However, this diet still allows some flexibility when it comes to few non-starchy vegetables, these are as follows-
You can eat in moderation, berries like blueberry, cherry, strawberry. Again few nuts are allowed like walnuts, cashews, chestnut, groundnuts, pistachio etc. Apart from these seeds, veggies and legumes like hummus, kidney beans, yams, carrots and chickpeas are allowed.
Nut butter, melted cheese or feta and mozzarella cheese, and protein milkshakes and cocoa smoothies can be consumed occasionally when cravings come.
Moving on here are 2 solved FAQ’s to help you understand the ketogenic meal plans better-
- How fast can you lose weight following a ketosis diet?
A ketogenic meal plan primarily focuses on producing ketones in the body. This happens when the body doesn’t have any carbohydrates present within it. Therefore, as the body releases ketones, the metabolism works with it to burn stored fat.
Hence, depending on your body’s BMR, height age, weight and diet, the body will break down fat accordingly. However, the usual time taken by a body to reach ketosis is 2-7 days, which can result in losing up to 10 pounds a month.
- Should you be counting calories?
When you are losing weight it’s vital to count calories. However, the ketosis diet does not use carbs so; make a diet chart that has a good amount of protein content to keep you fuller. Also, if you are exercising, make sure that you get the adequate number of calories, or you may lose out muscle mass.
In the end, you can use keto diet for weight loss! But, for it to work, keep your resolve stronger and follow the above-mentioned guidelines and trim that waistline in a jiffy.Read More